Tuesday, May 8, 2012

DIY: Katniss Braid


This is what you do with your time when you have Saturdays alone in the apartment and you're addicted to a certain book franchise.  You google the iconic hairstyle of the main character and hope that you can figure out a way to achieve it on your own head.

I'm not going to lie, the main reason I'm sharing this is because I was super proud of this.  It was my second attempt at the braid after loosely following instructions on how to get there.  If you want to learn how to do this braid yourself, I recommend checking out the MakeupGeek's Blog.  She does a fantastic job explaining it in multiple photos.

I, on the other hand, am going to briefly explain to you what I did and let you marvel at my mad skills.

1.) Learn how to french braid.
I taught myself this one day at work several years ago.  Until that day, it was a complete mystery to me.  But once you can do a basic french braid, a world of opportunities will open to you.

Such as....
2.) Learn to do a "dutch braid"
Let's be honest.  I didn't know that there was a term for this until recently.  I basically describe it as doing a french braid but pulling the hair from under instead of over.  Yeah, I'm sure that made sense.

3.) For the Katniss braid, you'll need to start your dutch braid over your ear.
Or at least near your ear.  Whatever.  The point is, you want to keep the braid going in sort of a diagonal downward motion towards the opposite shoulder from the ear you chose.

OMG.  I'm so bad at explaining this.

4.) For mine, I kept the braid itself close to the bottom of my head so I'd be more likely to have enough hair to pull over my shoulder.
I am trying to grow my hair.  I've been doing so for 2 years.  But it's never long enough to do things the way I want, like this braid.  Ideally, I wouldn't have to worry about having extra hair to just braid at the end, it'd just be there.  But that's not the case, and may not be the case for you.

5.) If, like me, your hair is slippery and layered, you'll need to go back in and pin the sticking out pieces in place.
Does this need more explanation?

6.) You're done! Take pictures of yourself and send them to every Hunger Games nerd you know!
Post them on Instagram! Send them in text messages! Share them with me!  No one ended up saying anything about mine in person but I just know it was too darn cool for school.  Ugh.  It's no wonder I don't have more friends.

That's it!  I hope you enjoyed my randomly worded tutorial!  But for real, read another one, a better one, and report back with how you did. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...