Sunday, April 17, 2011

I would do anything for love.

Oh, meatloaf.

When I was a kid, we ate meatloaf a lot.  It's one of my mom's Sunday night dinner staples so it holds a lot of sensory memories for me.

However, based on the shor and impresise directions I had on hand it also presented a bit of a challenge.  This afternoon there was a lot of "She said breadcrumbs but not how much....throw more in there!" type of talk spewing from the kitchen.  Yeah, I don't deal well with a lack of direction and precise amounts.

As an inexperienced cook it's hard to feel out what needs to be added and in what quantities when you've never made it yourself alone in the kitchen before.  Luckily I've helped my mom out enough (read: sat on the counter and distracted her while she did it herself) to know a little bit about what I was doing.

Paradise by the dashboard light.

Despite John's suggestions to shape it like a baby head, I'd say it came out looking pretty close to what it was supposed to.  And the fact that it took an hour and a half to cook allowed us time to take Ash dog to the park and come back to a wonderful smelling apartment.

Overall, I'd rate it a success.  It was tasty enough but lacked a loafy texture.  The end piece fell apart, but mine maintained it's consistency.  I might try it for leftovers tomorrow to get the day after effect.  But in all, I don't know when I'll be making it again.  But it's nice to have a traditional meal in my arsenal of known recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...